The Civil War Diary


 Anson Little Musson

Transcribed by:

Robert F. Cell
Richard H. Cell

Edinburg, Texas, December 1989


Anson Little Musson kept a diary of his service in Company D, 64th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, for the last six and one half months of his Civil War service.  The diary dates from January 1, 1865 near Savannah, Georgia until July 19 when he road the train home from Chicago to Colchester, Illinois and ended his diary with the comment: “Folks all right.  Had supper.”

Included here are the following:

Page 2.  The Illinois Adjutant General’s Report, History of the Sixty-Fourth Infantry,

Page 6. A map of the 1864-1865 campaign of the Civil War,

Page 7. A map showing the routes of the 64th from its inception in December 1861 until its return to Chicago in July 1865.

Page 8. The diary of Anson Musson

Page 24. Some “apocrypha” of later entries in his diary, including a notation of his wedding on November 3, 1868, and additional comment about one of the battles on March 3, 1865, and some comments about his pay and bounty pay.

Page 27.  A brief biography of Anson Little Musson.

 Robert Franklin Cell and Richard Hamilton Cell are grandson and great-grandson, respectively, of Anson Little Musson.

History of the Sixty-Fourth Infantry

The “First Battalion of Yates’ Sharp Shooters” was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois, in the month of December, 1861, by Lieutenant Colonel D. E. Williams.  It consisted of four Companies [A, B, C, and D], – the last of which was mustered in to the United States’ service December 16, 1861.  Two additional Companies [E and F] were mustered into service December 31, with Fred W. Matteson as Major.  January 10, 1862, the Battalion was ordered to Quincy, and went into barracks.  Here it was armed.  Moved to Cairo February 16, and March 4 moved, via Birds Point, Charleston, Bertrand, and Sykeston, to New Madrid, and was assigned to Morgan’s Brigade, Payne’s Division, Pope’s command.  On the evening of the 12th of March, Companies A, D, E, and F made a night attack on the enemy’s right, driving his pickets, and skirmishing heavily till midnight, drawing the attention of the enemy from the Tenth and Sixteenth Illinois, who were planting siege guns on the enemy’s left.  Was present at the bombardment of New Madrid the next day, and afterward as support to Williams’ siege guns, four miles below, where Pope effected his crossing.

Under command of Major Matteson, moved with Pope’s expedition against Fort Pillow, and returning, moved up Tennessee River, disembarking at Hamburg Landing April 22.  Was engaged in the siege of Corinth from that time till its evacuation, (May 30,) being continually on skirmish and picket line.  May 3, the Battalion was heavily engaged at Chambers’ Creek, but repulsed the enemy, the loss being four killed and five wounded.  May 7, in General Payne’s reconnaissance, lost two men killed and three wounded.  May 30, the Battalion entered Corinth in time to see the enemy’s rear guard leaving it.  In the afternoon took the advance in pursuit of the enemy, and came upon their rear at Tuscumbia Creek about dark, when brisk skirmish ensued, continuing during the night and the next day.  The pursuit was continued to Booneville, when the Battalion returned.  The Battalion camped at Big Springs, six miles from Corinth.

General Rosecrans taking command of the Army of the Mississippi, the Sixty-Fourth was detailed as headquarter guard, on which duty it remained until November following.

Lieutenant Colonel Williams left the Battalion, on sick leave, May 17, and never returned, being discharged September 11.

Major Matteson commanded the Battalion until August 8, when he died in hospital.  He was a gallant and much loved officer.  Captain John Morrill, of Company A, took command, and was afterward promoted to Lieutenant Colonel.

August 20, moved to Iuka, Mississippi.  In September returned to Clear Creek, and again moved on Iuka, via Jacinto.  Was present at the battle of Iuka, but not engaged.  September 20, was in pursuit of the enemy.  Returned to Corinth.  The evening of October 3, went to position, and was sent forward as skirmishers.  On the morning of the 4th the Battalion met the first advance of the enemy, and was heavily engaged during the day, doing efficient and distinguished service.  The Sixty-Fourth lost, this day, seventy men, killed, wounded and missing, including Captain David G. Grover, Company E, killed.

On November 27, ordered on out-post duty at Glendale, Mississippi, where the Battalion erected fortifications and mounted two pieces artillery.  While here, Captain James C. Cameron, Company A, raised the Second Alabama Cavalry [Editors Note: this is a mistake, he actually joined the First Alabama Cavalry (U.S.); there were no other Union cavalry regiments from Alabama.], was commissioned Colonel, and was afterwards killed while gallantly leading the Regiment in a charge, at Barton’s Station [near Bear Creek, Alabama], April 17, 1863.

November 4, 1863, the Sixty-Fourth moved to Iuka, and thence to Pulaski, Tennessee, arriving November 11.

On the 15th of January, 1864, over three-fourths of the Battalion having re-enlisted it moved north, for veteran furlough, arriving at Chicago on the 22nd.  Was furloughed for twenty days, and re-assembled at Ottawa February 14.  Four new Companies (G, H, I, and K), having been recruited by Captain Michael W. Manning, Company E, were added to the Battalion, making a full regiment.  Lieutenant Colonel John Morrill was made Colonel, Captain Michael W. Manning, Lieutenant Colonel, and Captain Samuel B. Thompson, Major.

March 17, 1864, the Regiment left Ottawa, and on the 23rd arrived at Decatur, Alabama, and was assigned to the First Brigade, Fourth Division, Sixteenth Army Corps.  On May 4th, moved to Chattanooga, and joined General Sherman’s Army.  Arrived before Resaca May 9th, and Companies F and A deployed, driving the enemy into their works.  In the night, marched to Snake Creek Gap.  On the 13th advanced to Resaca, and was engaged till 16th, when the enemy retired.  Arrived at Kingston May 20, at Van Wert on the 25th, and at Dallas on the 27th.  On this day Companies A and F, on skirmish line, lost fourteen men killed and wounded.  Until the 31st the Regiment was each day engaged at Dallas.  June 1 to 4, moved to the left.  On the 5th, skirmished with the enemy near New Hope Church.  On the 6th, moved to Ackworth; 10th, to Big Shanty; 11th, advanced to foot of Kenesaw Mountain.  Unit 26th, was engaged at Kenesaw.  On the 27th of June the Sixty-Fourth was in the advance line of the assaulting forces, and was heavily engaged, losing, in killed and wounded, fifty-seven men, among whom was Adjutant W. H. Hinckley, killed.  July 3, when the enemy fell back and the flag of the Sixty-Fourth was the first on Kenesaw.  July 4, the entire Regiment was on the skirmish line, and drove the enemy two miles, losing twenty-five killed and wounded.  On 7th, had a skirmish on the Chattahoochie.  On the 10th, crossed the river, and fortified.  On the 17th, advanced to Nance’s Creek.  The Regiment being deployed, drove the enemy a mile and a half.  On 18th, marched toward Decatur, and on the 19th engaged the enemy, losing five men, Surgeon J. T. Stewart being wounded.  On the 22nd, marched to the support of the Seventeenth Corps, and was heavily engaged, charging the enemy three times, and capturing forty prisoners and one battle flag, and re-captured the field glass and papers of Major General McPherson, who had been killed and robbed by the enemy.  The loss of the Regiment in this action was fifteen killed, sixty-seven wounded, and seven missing.  On the 28th, the Regiment was hotly engaged, and repulsed several charges of the enemy.  From this time until August 26, was engaged in the siege of Atlanta.  On 26th, moved out of the works, down the Sandtown road, and marched all night, and 27th and 28th struck the Montgomery railroad, and 29th was engaged tearing up the track.  On 30th marched to Macon railroad.  On September 2nd passed through Jonesboro and Lovejoy.  On 8th, went into camp at East Point.

On September 23rd the Division was transferred to Seventeenth Corps.  The Regiment was now in First Brigade, First Division, Seventeenth Corps, – Brigadier General J. W. Fuller commanding Brigade, Major General J. A. Mower commanding Division, and Major General F. P. Blair commanding Corps.

October 1st, marched to Fairburn, on a reconnaissance.  On 3rd, returned.  On 4th commenced march after Hood; moving via Atlanta, crossed Chattahoochie at midnight, and marched all night in the rain, and camped in works in Marietta.  Thence moved northward, passing through Kingston, near Rome, to Adairsville, and arrived at Resaca on 15th.  In the night Captain Conger and Company A moved, in advance of a reconnaissance party, to Snake Creek Gap.  Captain Conger was mortally wounded, and two men severely wounded.  October 16th, the whole Regiment, on skirmish line advanced on the Gap, driving the enemy in confusion.  Marching via Lafayette and Summerville, arrived at Gaylersville, Alabama, October 21.

On 29th, marched via Cave Springs, to Cedartown.  Had a skirmish with the enemy’s cavalry.  Moved to Smyrna Camp Ground on 5th November.  On 13th moved to Atlanta, and on 15th started on the “march to the sea.” On December 9th, skirmished with the enemy at Poole’s Station.  On 10th, invested the city of Savannah.  On 11th December, skirmished with the enemy all day.  On the 16th marched to King’s Bridge, on the Ogeechee.  On 17th moved south, and on 19th reached Doctortown, on Gulf railroad and Altamaha River.  After destroying railroad, returned to Savannah December 23.

January 3, 1865, embarked at Thunderbolt, for Beaufort, South Carolina.  On 13th left Beaufort, and 15th arrived at Pocotaligo.  On January 20 and 25 the Sixty-Fourth was engaged in demonstrations against Salkahatchie and Cambahee Ferry.  January 31, moved from Pocotaligo.  On February 3 crossed the Salkahatchie, in face of the enemy, fighting in cold water three and four feet deep, and gained a footing on the opposite side, when the enemy fled.  The command then marched, via Midway and Orangeburg, to Columbia.  Thence, via Winnsboro, Cheraw, Laurel Hill, to Fayetteville, North Carolina.  Arrived at Bentonville, 20th March, and the entire Regiment was on the skirmish line, 21st capturing twelve prisoners, thirty-five horses, and one caisson, and General Johnson’s headquarters, losing thirteen men killed and wounded.  On 24th March camped at Goldsboro.

Marched April 10, arriving at Raleigh 13th.  On 26th, moved to Jones’ Cross Roads.  On 27th returned to Raleigh, and on 30th marched for Washington, arrived May 19.  Was in the grand review, May 24.  June 6, moved for Louisville, Kentucky.  On July 11 was mustered out of service by Lieutenant Robert M. Woods, A. C. M.  On 14th arrived at Chicago, Illinois, where the Regiment received final payment and discharge, July 18, 1865.

Colonel John Morrill, afterwards brevetted Brigadier General commanded the Regiment until July 22, 1864, when he was severely wounded.  Lieutenant Colonel M. W. Manning until November 12, 1864, and Captain Joseph S. Reynolds (afterwards Lieutenant Colonel and Brevet Brigadier General) from November 12 until its muster out.


A map of the 1864-1865 campaign of the Civil War.  Source: Atlas of the Historical Geography of the United States, Paullin, 1932.

A map showing the routes of the 64th from its inception in December 1861 until its return to Chicago in July 1865.  Source: Atlas of the Historical Geography of the United States, Paullin, 1932.

Diary of Anson Little Musson: 1-1-1865 to 7-19-1865

[Editors Note: Anson Little Musson enlisted in Company D, 64th Illinois Volunteer Infantry on February 24, 1864, being eighteen years and two months old.  He did not begin his diary, however, until January 1, 1865.]

Sunday, January 1, 1865: Lay in camp all day.  Had rice and pork for dinner.  Wrote a letter to Henry [Ed: his younger brother].  Cool weather.  Nothing new or interesting in camp.  We are now in camp near Savannah, Georgia.

Monday, January 2: Drilled today.  Hear we are going to move, don’t know where but expect to Charleston.

Tuesday, January 3: In the morning got orders to march at 12.  We started for Ft. Thunderbolt.  Got aboard of transport ride till dark, halted for the night.  Cold and rainy.

Wednesday, January 4: Awoke found ourselves where we were stopped the eve before on the ocean.  Soon pushed out about noon passed Hilton Head and Port Royal at two, reached Beaufort, S.C.

Thursday, January 5: Fixed up our camp tolerable comfortable.  We went into the city got us some things to eat such as soft bread and cheese.

Friday, January 6: Lay in camp all day, nothing new going on.  At night we drew full rations, the first time for over 3 months.  Tho [sic] lots to eat now, drew soft bread.

Saturday, January 7: I went up to the city, bought some pie and cake and bread.  Seemed natural to get some nick nacks once more.  Returned to camp, cold nights, windy days.

Sunday, January 8: Lay in camp all day, nothing new happened of any interest whatever only our Chaplin preached at night.

Monday, January 9: Lay in camp all day and drilled in the evening.  It rained and a bitter…

Tuesday, January 10: Lay in camp.  Drilled in the morning.  Worked in the evening.  Also got a letter from Wm. from Nashville.  Well he stated Dan [Jane?] & Sarah gone to _____.

Wednesday, January 11: Lay in camp all day nothing new I believe of importance.  Expect to move soon.  The weather is rather cold.  Quit raining and cleared off warm.  Williams? come to the Regt.

Thursday, January 12: Had brigade inspection, was on guard.  Wrote a letter to Father.  Clear and cold, nothing new in camp.  Draw rations.  Expect to move in the morning.

Friday, January 13: Got up, lay around till 4 o’clock.  Then we packed up and started for the rail road bridge, marched 8 miles then halted for the night, made down and bed had a good night sleep.

Saturday, January 14: Got up, cooked and eat breakfast, started at 8 a.m. marched all day, advanced (3rd Div.), drove the rebels most all day; halted at 8 p.m., layed [sic] down for the night, rather cool.

Sunday, January 15: Got up, eat breakfast, started on.  Rebels all gone.  Marched to Station No. 6 on the Charleston and Savannah R.R.  Halted, our company on picket Pocataligo.

Monday, January 16: Lay on the picket, rather cool all night.  Relieved at 3 p.m. went into camp, drawed [sic] rations.  Frank Herbert come [sic] in to mess with us.

Tuesday, January 17: Lay around all day till four o’clock, had dress parade.  Our chaplin [sic] made us a war speech at night.  Weather rather cool.

Wednesday, January 18: Drilled at 9 a.m., lay around till four, had dress parade.  Drew one pair of cavalry pants, pair of drawers.  Very hard to get cloths on.  Weather moderated considerable.

Thursday, January 19: Lay in camp, drilled in the morning.  Rained in the evening.  Drawed [sic] rations, got marching orders & 20 extra rounds of carterages [sic].

Friday, January 20: Got up, ready to move at 6.  Started marched out toward the Johnnie’s cavalry.  Skirmished with them and drove them.  Awful wet and raining.  Got wet up ?

Saturday, January 21: Lay in camp all day.  Dried ourselves.  Bought some hard bread, feel all right after yesterday’s skirmish?  Nothing new at all.

Sunday, January 22: Lay in camp all day.  Weather? after noon.  Wrote a letter to a girl who lives over the hill and far away.  Dry times in camp.

Monday, January 23: Lay in camp all today.  In the afternoon packed up ready to move, order was countermanded, put up our tents and stayed for the night.

Tuesday, January 24: Lay in camp all day nothing new only heard we are going to go out and charge the Rebel fort.  Mail came at night, got letter from home, lot of news.

Wednesday, January 25: I lay in camp on guard but the rest went out to help take a bridge across the Salt Ketcher [Salkehatchie] Riv. but didn’t succeed owing to high water in the swamp, come in at mid-night.

Thursday, January 26: Lay in camp as usual, nothing new of importance.  Weather cold, hard work to keep ourselves warm.  Long way to Pocataligo, S.C.

Friday, January 27: Lay in camp all day, nothing new hear.  Wm? is coming to the regt.  Weather still cold.  Expect go to on another campaign for Charleston seaport.

Saturday, January 28: Lay in camp, brigade drill in the afternoon.  Mail come in, nothing for me.  Expect to move next Monday on to Charleston.  Cleaned guns for inspector.

Sunday, January 29: Lay in camp at Pacotaligo Station.  Wrote a letter home, very nice day.  Chaplain preached in the after noon.  Got orders to move at seven in the morning.

Monday, January 30: Got up in the morning, got breakfast, ready to move at 7.  Started, marched 7 or 8 miles, went in to camp for the night.  Went out to get some forage couldn’t find any.

Tuesday, January 31: Lay in camp all day.  Nothing very new in camp today.  Foragers brought in a deer.  Frenk [sic] Hobert got a letter from home last.  O. H. Ludden got home.

Wednesday, February 1, 1865: Got up in the morning ready to move at 7.  Started, marched 12 mile without halting to rest.  Stopped.  Our Regt on picket.  Lay there for the night.

Thursday, February 2: Got up, eat breakfast.  (Those that had any).  Started, marched 9 or 10 miles.  Rebels opened on us with grapnel [probably grape shot] and canister.  Formed line of Battle, charged through a swamp & ret. to camp.

Friday, February 3: Got up, lay around till 3 o’clock.  Started out for the swamp again, waded about ¾ of mile, reached dry land, found battle line, charged and took their works.  Built works.

Saturday, February 4: Got up.  Our Regt. went out foraging, got lots of sweet potatos [sic].  Returned to camp, eat supper and went to bed, feel very tired and sleepy, not much lost?

Sunday, February 5: Lay in camp for all day.  Had a good dinner, chicken not very.  Went to meeting at night, our Chaplain preached very good sermon.

Monday, February 6: Got up, ready to move at 8 a.m.  Started, marched all day, marched very hard.  Halted at night, put up our tent, went to bed.  Rained all night.

Tuesday, February 7: Got up, eat breakfast, lay around till 12 N.  Started on fatigue working on the road.  Marched and worked on the road until night when we went into camp. 

Wednesday, February 8: Moved our camp and put up a line of works.  Went on foraging.  On guard at the river? station Charleston and Augusta R.R.

Thursday, February 9: Got up ready to move at 8.  Started, marched until 1 P.M.  Train quarter? Johnnies making a stand on the Edisto River.  1st, 2nd, and 3rd Brig. charged & drove them.

Friday, February 10: Early in the morning crossed the Riv., went in to camp, lay down slept 3 hours.  Got up, lay in camp all day.  Frank went down and got some forage?

Saturday, February 11: Got ready to move at 8 a.m.  Started, marched all day, halted at night in an open field.  Frank came in with two chickens and one canteen of molasses C. … B.

Sunday, February 12: Orangeburg.  Got up in the morning at eleven, our chaplain preached us a sermon.  At one we packed up and moved to the right preparatory to cross the Riv. but got the news that the Rebs had gone crossed the Riv.  [sideways note: “went up into town ordered”]

Monday, February 13: Got up early and went to work tearing up and burning railroad.  Worked at it until dark when we started to camp.  Got there at 9 p.m.  Drew rations and went to bed.

Tuesday, February 14: Started at 7, marched 11 mile on guard (Provo), got to camp at one o’clock.  Long day from wind and water.  Rained at night.  Valentine Day.

Wednesday, February 15: Ready to move 2 p.m.  Marched … when we halted for the night.  Hear cannonade coming down the river.

Thursday, February 16: Got up, lay around till 1 P.M. when we started in the rear of the train.  Marched until 8 p.m. when we halted for the night.

Friday, February 17: Lay around until 11 a.m. when we started, crossed the river, and rested till 6? cross the Santee Riv. marched through the edge of Columbia, camped, most of the regt. on the right?

Saturday, February 18: Started, marched through the Ruins of the city and marched? up Car.? where Boys to tight? to work much at 3rd?  Started and marched 6 mile, went into camp for the night.  Had my neck hurt.

Sunday, February 19: Lay in camp all day.  Our chaplain preached at 11 a.m.  Also at night very nice weather.  Heard some fighting 18th Mo and tearing up railroad.

Monday, February 20: Got up ready to start at 9, started out, marched 10 mile, halted and tore up railroad.  Camped for the night.

Tuesday, February 21: Got ready to move at 8 a.m.  Started, marched 14 mile, halted, on picket.  Nice evening.

Wednesday, February 22: Ready to move at 9 a.m.  Started, marched 7 mile to Winnsboro.  Nice little town.  Started on again marched 7 mile, halted for the night.

Thursday, February 23: Got up ready to move, marched 9 mile to the Wateree River, halted an hour, marched down to the river, crossed at _____ two mile, went into camp.

Friday, February 24: Got up, started out and marched through the town of Liberty Hill.  Then deployed out and marched by the wagon.  Drenching rainy weather.  Heavy loads?

Saturday, February 25: Got up, started at 7 through rain and wind with water running out of my knapsack.  Marched until _____ p.m. when we halted for the night.  Draw rations about mid-night.

Sunday, February 26: Marched 14 mile, very warm in the forenoon.  Crossed a little stream, some of the troops had to wade, but we crossed on a bridge.  At night had picket.

Monday, February 27: Crossed Lynch [Lynches River?] Creek.  Halted, went back and built a bridge across the swamp.  Went a half a mile and stopped for the night.  Rained.

Tuesday, February 28: Got up early.  Started before we had eaten our breakfast.  Marched 16 miles.  Rainy weather.  Our brothers run … Johnnie &

[Ed: The diary book was for 1864, which was a leap year, so there was a space for Feb. 29.]  As this is a blank space I thought I would fill it up with some things I will? here that we started from Raleigh.  Home on Saturday April 29th 186? That is all _____.

Wednesday, March 1, 1865: The Corps lay in camp today.  One regt. out of each brigade went out foraging.  Our regt. went out but did not get much but horse feed.  Returned to camp at night.  Weather cool and rainy.

Thursday, March 2: Lay in camp today.  At noon got orders to be ready to march at 8, order countermanded so we put up our tents again at night just got to bed orders came for us to go on picket but it was countermanded.

Friday, March 3: Got up at 5, order ready to move at 7.  Started, marched 7 mile, formed in line of battle.  Went 2 mile, Rebs left their works.  Proceded [sic] on to Cheraw.  Charged _____.  [Ed: see additional note at the end of the diary.]

Saturday, March 4: Went back to town, lots of captured things.  At 3 cross the Pedee [Ed: Shown on maps now as Pee Dee] River.  Formed line (1 Brig) charged tonight?, went in to camp after dark.  Heard a great explosion, by sea?

Sunday, March 5: Lay in camp, our chaplain preached in the morning.  I read a little book called soul … yet rejoicing.  A very good book for the young.  Frank wrote?

Monday, March 6: Got up, started at 8, marched about 12 miles…  Camped in Bennettville, nice little village.

Tuesday, March 7: Got up, ready to move at 9.  Started, marched through town.  Our brigade band playing.  Marched 9 mile, halted for the night.  Weather rather warm and sultry, expect rain.

Wednesday, March 8: Got up.  Rained last night.  March 8 mile.  Rained all day.  Took supper and camped in North Carolina.  Very disagreeable weather.

Thursday, March 9: Got up ready to move at 5½, started at 8; marched all day and till 10 at night.  Very wet as it has rained all day.  On camp guard.

Friday, March 10: Marched all day near the rear of the train and all night.  Very wet wading the swamps after night.  Very sleepy and tired.

Saturday, March 11: Got up at day light, ready to move at 7.  Started, marched to within 1½ mile of Fayetteville.  Halted for the night, very tired and sore from yesterdays march.

Sunday, March 12: Lay in camp all day, nothing of importance transpired during the day, I believe.  Chaplin preached in the fore-noon. Nothing after noon …

Monday, March 13: Got up ready to move at nine.  Started, marched down to the river.  Saw a little transport in the river.  Crossed? and went on to camp.  Read a book, Mormon? Wive? 

Tuesday, March 14: Our regt. went a foraging.  Didn’t get anything as we were ordered in.  Got back to camp.  Orders came to move.  Started, marched 5 mile, halted for the night.

Wednesday, March 15: Got up, ready to move at 7.  Started, marched to Blockers (Blockersville?) a little town 10 mile from where we camped.  Went on 5 mile to Black River.  Rebs made a little stand.  9th & Burnin?  Routed them K 1 W 1?

Thursday, March 16: Lay in camp all day, wet and rainy.  Expected to move but didn’t on account of the other divn (3rd Divn).  Went to bed at night.  Orders to march? but was countermanded.

Friday, March 17: Got at 3 in the morning, ready to move at 5½.  Started, marched all day, marched through Owenville.  Camped at 9 p.m., cooked supper and went to bed.

Saturday, March 18: Got up ready to move at 5, started in the rear of everything. Marched all day and _____ when we layed [sic] down to sleep _____.

Sunday, March 19: Got up at 3 morning, started at 5 marched all the forenoon and until 3.  Halted for the night, went to bed.  At 8 got orders at 11 to move immediately.  Lay around till 3, don’t know (14C) where we’re going.  Say to the _____. [Ed: the 64th was part of the 14th Corps.]

Monday, March 20: At 3 in the we started back, marched until 3, halted, breakfast, yet formed line our regt deployed as skirmishers forwarded.  Captured 2 Johnnies ar? rank went over to the 14 A.C.  Ed Barrie wounded in the arm.

Tuesday, March 21: Got up, moved at 9 to the extreme right 2 mile 10th Div formed Battle Line, our regt on skirmish line forward drove the Rebs back.  They formed their lines and drove us back to the swamp.  Near Benton Hill [Ed: Bentonville, NC] some of the boys are captured and killed.  Hard fight.

Wednesday, March 22: Got up at daylight, Rebs are gone, pickets drove their rear guard across the river and put the fire out of.  The bridge we went out over the battle field, found some of the dead and wounded boys.  [Ed: appear to be some names sideways]: Boys captured McKee, Small, Shoemaker.

Thursday, March 23: Got up ready to move at 9, started, marched all day.  Going to communication?  I guess feel? very tired and foot sore and went into camp at 5 o’clock p.m.

Friday, March 24: Got up ready to move at 10 a.m.  Started, crossed the river, and then went in and through Goldsboro on Grand River.  Went out 2 miles, camped for the night.

Saturday, March 25: Got up, expect to move our line a little.  Moved out first up our tents in regular form.  Expect to stay here some time, don’t know how long.  Weather rather cold.  Boys come up to the Regiment.

Sunday, March 26: Got up, hear we’re going to have mail today.  Cleaned up our company grounds.  At noon the mail came, got a letter from M. E. and one also from Ann?  Geo Wells come over to see us on picket.

Monday, March 27: Got up, relieved at nine, returned to camp.  Regt out foraging.  Mail came, got a letter from Joseph and one from Ann.  Wrote to father.  Regt? come in?

Tuesday, March 28: Got up, wrote a letter home.  R. Kellough? and J. Wily came, glad to see them.  At night got a letter from home and one from D. H. Ludden.  All well at home.

Wednesday, March 29: Wrote a letter to Joseph.  Lay around.  Got a letter or two from home.  Lay around, talked over old times with the boys. Nothing new in camp.

Thursday, March 30: Lay around all day.  Nothing very new.  Drawing some clothing, boys cleaning up.  Weather rather wet and rainy.  Good times with the boys.  Geo. Wells came over _____.

Friday, March 31: Lay in camp today, nothing new going on.  Wrote a letter to E. C. W. also one to Joseph.  At night Geo Wells come over to see me.

Saturday, April 1, 1865: Lay in camp all day, no news at all.  Draw rations.  Lew come over, had a big? old time talking about old times and the girls.

Sunday, April 2: Lay in camp all day.  Chaplain preached at 11.  Joe and I wrote to some of the goose neck girls.  Chaplain preached again at night.

Monday, April 3: Regt went to Rinston [Ed: Princeton?] after supplies.  I stay in camp as I had no shoes.  Wrote a letter to father.  Lost my money.

Tuesday, April 4: Lay in camp all day.  Wrote a letter to father, Henry and Ann.  Dull times in camp, all the boys gone.

Wednesday, April 5: Lay in camp all day.  Nothing new.  Regt came in at noon.

Thursday, April 6: Lay in camp all day.  Good news from Grant, Richmond evacuated with 15,000 prisoners and 500 guns.  Camp all astir with news great cheering for the Grant?  Hear rifles are coming?

Friday, April 7: Went on picket, lots of troops drilling.  Rather dull times on picket, lots of cheering in camp.  I went in to camp at night, heard our Henry rifles were up in town.  Vans gone after them.  Rained?  [Ed: The Henry carbine was a repeater].

Saturday, April 8: Relieved from picket.  Went in to camp.  Got our Henry Rifles, cleaned them up.  Had brigade dress parade.  Still good news from Grant.  Boys very merry and jovial.

Sunday, April 9: Got up, had co. inspection.  Then went over to the 34th division and from there to the 14th corps seen Pat Madlen? he said Amos Scott was wounded.  Returned to camp.  Parade again.

Monday, April 10: Got up orders to move at 8 but didn’t start until 11.  Marched along until 8 at night.  Went in to camp.  Hear the 6th Ills has had a hard fight.  Marched 12 mile.

Tuesday, April 11: Got up ready to move at 7, but didn’t on account of the bad roads.  Marched in the rear of the train, halted about 8 at night, tired and hungry.  Marched about 10? mile.  Heard that Lee had surrendered.

Wednesday, April 12: Got up, ready to move.  Started, marched about 1 mile.  Halted.  Gen. Fuller rode up and said Gen. Lee had surrendered.  O what cheering there was.  Marched on until 7 at night.  Roads tolerable.  _____?

Thursday, April 13: Got up ready to move at 9.  Started, marched until 4 p.m. when we halted for the night.  Marched 12 mile, eat some forage, molasses, meal and Niggar peas? and beans in good camping place _____.

Friday, April 14: Got up, started at 8, marched to the Noose [Neuse] River, crossed it and marched to Raleigh.  Very nice city.  Lots of pretty girls.  Went out 1 mile, camped, marched 17 mile.

Saturday, April 15: Got up, raining very hard.  Started out toward the Rebs but was ordered back as Johnston had surrendered.  Boys feel very merry over the news.  Peace soon.  Heared [sic] to get go home soon.

Sunday, April 16: Lay in camp today on guard, fixed up our tents yesterday.  Hear we’ll stay here some time.  A very beautiful and lovely day.  Dick and Frank went out and got some meal.

Monday, April 17: Lay in camp all day.  Rather lonesome times, nothing new in the morning.  Had dress parade at five.  Orders read to us that our President was brutally assassinated.  Also Seward died? [Ed: William Henry Seward, U.S. Secretary of State, suffered arm and jaw fractures in an earlier accident.  At the time of the assassination he was confined to his couch with these injuries; one of the conspirators entered the bed chamber of the secretary and inflicted knife wounds in his face and neck.  He recovered.]

Tuesday, April 18: Lay in camp all day, nothing of importance, say Lee is going to throw up in the afternoon.  I went out to camp guard, lay there and talked with a Johnny come to camp.  Got a letter from home.

Wednesday, April 19: Lay in camp all day, nothing of importance.  Got a letter from Father and Henry.  Lay around.  Cheerful times over the surrender of Gen. Johnston.

Thursday, April 20: Got up, eat breakfast, went down to the Branch and washed.  Then answered Father and Henry’s letters.  Lay around the rest of the day.

Friday, April 21: Lay in camp today as usual.  Fixed up our camp grounds.  Got a tolerable nice place to camp after it is fixed up.  Joe and me wrote a letter to Union Lodge.  On guard.

Saturday, April 22: I was on guard.  The Regt had drill preparing for a Grand Review next Monday.  Nice weather.  Lay around, not very much going on of importance.

Sunday, April 23: Lay in camp all day.  Chaplain preached at 11.  Joe and I took a walk down the rail road.  Had a good chat about folks at home and gone by? times.

Monday, April 24: Got up early to go to town.  Started, went to the city, was reviewed by Gen. Sherman, then by U. S. Grant.  Had a good view of him.  Back go camp.  Orders to move at daylight.

Tuesday, April 25: Got up early, expect to move at 8.  Started, marched 10 mile, halted in the woods.  Joe and I went over to see Lew.  Returned to our camp, found him there, had a heals? chat with him.

Wednesday, April 26: Got up, eat breakfast, expect to stay in camp today but at 3 was sent out on picket, lay there the rest of the day.  After night we heard lots of cheering.  Good news _____.

Thursday, April 27: Was ordered into camp at 8 to return to Raleigh.  The news is that Johnson has surrendered everything under his control.  Marched back to our old camp, rested?  Wm.? and I took a _____ over to the 4th Div?

Friday, April 28: Lay in camp all day, nothing of importance.  Geo. Wells came over, had a long chat with him in the evening.  Had a sing?  Lots of rockets going up in town _____?

Saturday, April 29: Got up ready to move at 8.  Started, marched and lay? along the road to the Moose [Ed: Neuse?] River.  Rained very hard.  Crossed the river marched near? the river.  A little rough.  Lay down wet and tired?

Sunday, April 30: Lay in camp or in the woods all day.  Geo. Wells came over in the afternoon.  We had a sing and then went down to the Neuse River, had a swimming.  Went to bed.

Monday, May 1, 1865: Got up ready to move at 8.  Started, marched to Forestville then to Wake Forest College, nice little town, 2 mile apart.  Marched 18 mile, passed through some very nice country, good many citizens.

Tuesday, May 2: Got up ready to move at 7.  Started, marched 3 mile, crossed Tar River, marched until 4 o’clock, halted.  Made marched 21 mile, not very tired.  Dick and Frank on picket.  Cool evening.

Wednesday, May 3: Got up early, expect to have a hard days march.  Marched to a junction in the road, from there to Ridgeway from there to Haskinton?  Station, then left the road across the Roanoke River at Roberts Ferry.

Thursday, May 4: Lay in the woods till 3 o’clock.  Marched 13 mile, halted to stay until 2 in the morning.  I was detailed on camp guard, rather lonesome and sleepy? expect to make a big march tomorrow.

Friday, May 5: Got up at two, marched five? mile, crossed the Roanoke, marched 19 mile crossed the Meherrin River, then marched 14 mile and camped on the infilank? road (34 mile today).  Camier? died too!

Saturday, May 6: Got up, started at 6, marched 14 mile, crossed the Nattawa [Ed: Nottaway] River, halted 1½ hour for dinner.  Started on again, marched 10 mile, crossed smaller riv. and went in to camp.  Very warm.

Sunday, May 7: Got up, crossed a little stream, marched 15 mile, camped near Petersburg, Va.  Went down to the Appomattox River, had a swim.  Drawed [sic] rations.  Wrote a letter home.

Monday, May 8: Ready to move at 8½.  Started, marched 8 mile to and through the city of Petersburg.  Went out 6? mile, and camped, crossed Appomattox RR and _____.

Tuesday, May 9: Got up ready to move at 7.  Started, marched within three fourths of a mile of Manchester.  Filed? out into the brush.  Halted for the night.  Marched 15 mile.  Detailed as corporal of guard.

Wednesday, May 10: Lay around on frost? all day.  Nothing of importance I believe.  In the evening Richd and I took a walk down the rail road.  Returned to our quarters.  Draw? of shirt and got a letter from home.  Relieved from picket.

Thursday, May 11: Lay in camp all day, nothing new going on I believe.  Looks very much like rain.  Expect to move tomorrow morning.  Mail came but nothing for me.  Had soft bread for dinner and butter? on the _____ rolls, _____.

Friday, May 12: Richmond, Va.  Got up early, ready to move at 7.  Started, marched through Manchester, crossed the James River, passed by Libby Prison, Castle Thunder, Washington Monument, Seves? Residence and other public buildings.  Marched out 9 mile, halted for the night.

Saturday, May 13: Got up, passed the 4th Division.  Crossed the Chickahominy River, marched 12 mile.  Roads in rather a bad condition.  All the corps on this road halted at 3 in the woods.  Mail came, nothing for me.

Sunday, May 14: Got up, lay around until 11 a.m. when we started, marched 1 mile.  Crossed the Pamunkey River, marched 14 mile and went into camp.  Passed over some nice country and bad roads.  Draw rations.  Chester station.

Monday, May 15: Got up at 2, started at 4, marched 18 mile. During the day we crossed the Mat River, Ny River and the Po [River] then camped.  Been some fighting on this road.  At night Joe and I went to see Lew.

Tuesday, May 16: Got up, crossed the Ny River marched to Fredericksburg 12 mile, crossed the Rappahannock River, marched 11 mile, went into camp close by a nice little creek.  Feel some what tired, very warm day.

Wednesday, May 17: Got up ready to move at 9, started at 11, marched 12 mile, halted for the night.  Been a very warm day today and many of the boys giving out.  Staid? up till 11, drew rations in the rear today.

Thursday, May 18: Got up at 5, started, marched 15 mile.  Very warm day.  Camped on a front of the Bull Run Battlefield.  Waded? Acway Creek, went in to camp on the Hill.  Good water.  Rained very hard in the night.  1 mile?

Friday, May 19: Got up, packed our things.  Started ahead of the 4th Divn, marched 15 mile, went in to camp about 5 mile from Alexandria.  Got in about 4 p.m., got mail at night, one from home and one E. Wily.

Saturday, May 20: Got up rather late this morning as we won’t move.  Lay in camp all day, nothing very special.  Some of the sick boys coming in.  Geo. Hawn for one.  More mail, not me.

Sunday, May 21: Lay in camp all day today, nothing of importance I believe.  Today Joe’s father came out from Washington to see his sons.  Quite a slick looking old gentleman.  Read the daily papers & so forth.  [Ed: this would be Aldrich C. Wiley, father of Joseph and Lewis Wiley as well as Mary Emerett Wiley.  Anson’s future wife.  He would have been about 51 years old.]

Monday, May 22: Got up, eat our grub, then retired to my tent and read some.  Got out and round some.  Had soft bread for dinner at night.  Drew our caps and some other clothing.

Tuesday, May 23: Got up, ready to move at 8½.  Started, marched to Alexandria through the town and 3 mile toward Washington.  Went into camp.  Alexandria is a nice place on the Potomac River.

Wednesday, May 24: Washington, D.C.  Started at 8 for Washington, crossed the river and in to the city on Maryland St., out passed the capitol.  Rested, formed columns by co. then passed through the city on Grand Review.  Tolerable nice place.  Lots of pretty folks.  Camped.

Thursday, May 25: Mr. Wiley over to see us.  Got up, no move today.  Lay in camp.  Put our tents up in two rows, policed up our company grounds.  Got a nice place to camp here.  Expect to stay here 3 or 4 wks.  At night on guard.  Rainy weather.

Friday, May 26: Got up late this morning, lay around camp.  Dull day, raining.  In the afternoon wrote a letter to E. Wily.  Mail came got a letter from Cosin [sic] Charlotte.  [Ed: this would be Charlotte Thornton in Chicago.]  Heard from E. B. W.

Saturday, May 27: Visited Washington City.  Got up, still raining.  Went up to town, went allover the city, all through the Capitol and the President’s House.  Very nice buildings.  Bought some bread & cheese, returned to camp, tired & hungry.

Sunday, May 28: Lay in camp all day, meeting in the evening but did not go.  Joseph and Wm. went, rather unwell with the dyareah [diarrhea].  Inspection in the morning.  Feel rather dull.  Wrote a letter to cousins?

Monday, May 29: Got up.  I feel worse than I did yesterday.  Went up to the Christian Commission.  Answered Em’s letter.  At night went up to meeting.  Very good session?  Feel very poorly.

Tuesday, May 30: Got up rather late this morning as I don’t feel very well.  Very pleasant morning.  I went up to the Christian Commission and got some writing paper and some newspapers.  There is a good deal of talk about going home.  Went to Church at night.

Wednesday, May 31: Got up, eat breakfast, feel better then I did yesterday.  Went up to the C. C., came back.  Nothing of very much importance going on, I believe.  The 1st Div of the K-A C started for Louisville today.  Went to meeting at night.  Barose? for the prayers.  Got a letter from home.

Thursday, June 1, 1865: Got up, eat breakfast, feel fine this morning.  Wm. went to town.  This is fast day.  All the boys on guard but Wm. and Joseph went out and tried my gun.  Went to church at night.

Friday, June 2: Got up, feel very well? this morning.  Went up to the U. S. C. C.  Came back to camp, lay around camp.  Wrote a letter home.  John Reeves died at half past three.  _____ son sanitary.  Church at night, good.

Saturday, June 3: Lay around camp in the morning.  In the afternoon the hearse come after John Reeves.  I shaved? the co. boys then was detailed for chain guard.  Went to meeting at night.

Sunday, June 4: Lay in camp on guard all day.  Seen Bill Terrill?  Nothing very new, expect to move tomorrow.  Had orders to move today but it was countermanded.

Monday, June 5: Got up early, marched down to town, got on the cars rode to within 10 mile of Baltimore, then to Harpers Ferry.  Was treated to some soft bread by the citizens.  Passed pretty town.  Fun with the girls.

Tuesday, June 6: Got up, found ourselves in a town, made coffee.  Started on, went through Cumberland, got some coffee noon.  Passed through several pretty towns & seen pretty girls.  Passed up the Alleghany range of Md. crossed into Va. from Md.

Wednesday, June 7: Got up, found ourselves at Grafton.  Rode to Parkersburg.  Got off the cars and camped for the night.  Went down to the river and had a swim.  Passed through 3 tunnels this trip.

Thursday, June 8: Marched to the river, got aboard the Steamer America, rode 20 mile, then landed.  Then took the Steamer Melnath, rode until night.  Come up a storm.  Went ashore, staid all night.

Friday, June 9: Got up, found ourselves on the move.  Passed several towns, Calhoun, Hanging Rock, Ohio.  Then some nice ones? in Ky.  Lots of folks on shore, nice towns.  On guard.  Having a nice ride.

Saturday, June 10: Got up, found ourselves lying in the middle of the river at Cincinnati.  Soon started, passed several nice flourishing towns, arrived at Louisville at 5 p.m.  Marched out 6 mile to Camp.  Rained.

Sunday, June 11: Got up, moved into camp and fixed it up.  Went down to the river and to church at night.  Very warm in the middle of the day.

Monday, June 12: Got up, lay around camp, nothing new going on.  Went to the river a time or two.  Mail come but none for me.  Will’s birthday.  [Ed: His brother, William Thornton Musson born June 12, 1836 in Morgan County, Illinois.)

Tuesday, June 13: Got up early.  Started down to town.  Staid around town till afternoon.  Nothing going on of importance going on.  Returned to camp.  Went swimming _____.

Wednesday, June 14: Lay in camp all day.  Joseph & I went out in the country to get some butter and milk but didn’t get much.  Nice day.  Went to the river in the evening.

Thursday, June 15: Got up, ready to move at 6 a.m.  Started, marched 4 mile southeast of town.  Went into camp in a nice grove on a hill.  Good springs not very far away.  Got a letter from home.

Friday, June 16: Got up early, wrote a letter home.  Was then detailed on chain guard.  Lay around on _____ most all day.  Joseph went to town bought some potatos [sic] & bread good supper.  Mail came.

Saturday, June 17: Got up, went into camp, got breakfast.  Was relieved off guard, went into camp.  Took a nap.  Got a tolerable nice camp.  Have potato and beets.  Warm days and nights.  Grape vines plenty.  Roll call 4 times a day.

Sunday, June 18: Staid in camp all day, had regimental inspection.  Nothing new in camp today, a good deal of talk about going home but no fresh facts.  Have tolerable good times in camp.

Monday, June 19: Lay in camp today, nothing of importance I believe.  Went on fatigue.  Will and I put up a separate tent, to warm for us all to sleep in one.  Dick and I had a good chat about old times.

Tuesday, June 20: Got up, eat breakfast.  The furloughed boys start home this morning: Wm., John Klein, Joseph Q, Thomas Callahan, and Wm. Jeffrey.  Lay in camp, lots of grape vines.  O. G.

Wednesday, June 21: Got up, went on guard at half past eight.  Lay around all day.  More and more grape vines.  Talk of going home on furlough but it fidayed [sic] out.  Good deal of talk about being mustered out 6 companies of our regt.

Thursday, June 22: Lay in camp today as usual. Grape vines as thick as ever. Hear anything we want to but can't believe them. Got a letter from Emerett Wily, good one, glad it came. _____ _____ one?

Friday, June 23: Lay in camp all day.  Will and I washed our blankets.  Still lots of grape vines.  Expecting to be fraid? freed? soon.  The furlough boys start yesterday morning, expect they will have a good time.

Saturday, June 24: Lay in camp today, nothing very important going on.  Wrote a letter to Cousin Charlotte.  Not so many grape vines as there has been.  Hear the 84th Ill. has got home.

Sunday, June 25: Lay in camp all day.  Officers? bought a keg of lager beer and got on genral burns? [Ed: this previous word appears four times, on June 25, 29, July 6, 12: not sure if it is “bum” or what] in the afternoon.  Wrote a letter to Emerett Wily.  Rained all the evening, half night?  Will & R. on picket?

Monday, June 26: Got up early, went out on picket.  Lay around all day.  Nice to get out of the noise of camp and enjoy the fresh air once more.  Easy guard standing on reserve.

Tuesday, June 27: Got up, went into camp, got my breakfast.  Went out again.  Was relieved, went into camp, lay around.  Went to sleep.  Drew rations.  Grape is we’re going home immediately.

Wednesday, June 28: Got up, eat breakfast, lay around till 12 M. when we fell in, marched over to Hd Qtrs and was paid 8 months pay installment of bounty.  $59.10  Warm day, got a letter from home.

Thursday, June 29: Up early, went out on picket.  Got a letter from Joseph.  Telegraph is that 7 regts out of our divns are going home so it will not be very long till we are there.  The Boys are all on a Bun?

Friday, June 30: Lay around camp all day.  Mustered for Pray? Rainy day.  Disagreeable.  Nothing very new.  All talking about going home.  Miller lost zero last night.

Saturday July 1, 1865: Got up early.  Gus? and I went down to town, got our freersport?  Bought some carets?  Returned to camp.  Very warm in the middle of the day.

Sunday, July 2: Got up.  Frank and I went over to the 6th Ills. had a good visit with the boys.  Very warm day.  Got a letter from Cousin Charlotte.  Meeting at night.  Dit [sic] for guard.

Monday, July 3: Lay in camp all day, nothing very new.  Going on busy making out our Muster Out rolls.  On guard today.  Very warm days.

Tuesday, July 4: Got up early.  Cleaned up our camp.  Fell in, marched out in the wheat field.  General Sherman made us a speech, – very good one.  Very warm today.

Wednesday, July 5: Lay in camp today, nothing very new.  Geo. Wells was over to see us yesterday.  Had a good time.  Chaplin preached at night.  Still warm.  Went over to the 4th Divn.

Thursday, July 6: Lay in camp today, nothing of importance, I believe.  Still warm weather.  Farmers busy harvesting.  Hear we are to be mustered out tomorrow.  Fraid [sic] it ain’t so.  Boys on a Burnr?  Drew rations.

Friday, July 7: Was on guard all day, very warm and sultry.  Have a nice place to stand up at the Duchmans.  Not much news of importance.  Hear we are to be mustered out next Monday.

Saturday, July 8: In the morning was relieved from guard.  Thos Kellough returned to the Regt.  Lay around camp in the shade.  Expressed one dress coat, one rubber blanket home by John Mourning to Tennessee?  Shaved in the evening.

Sunday, July 9: Lay in camp all day but the co. was on duty up at the Gardens.  Joseph and I played around doing but very little had some fun.  Rained toward night.  39th mustered out today.

Monday, July 10: Lay in camp all day, nothing much going on.  The company was relieved about noon.  Had a good deal of fun I guess.  27th mustered out today.  Expect to be mustered soon ourselves.  Frank & Joe went to theatre.

Tuesday, July 11: Mustered out of U. S. S.  Got up, lay in camp until ten when we fell in, marched over to Head Qtrs and got mustered out.  Lay in camp the rest of the day.  Nothing very important going on.

Wednesday, July 12: Lay in camp all day, nothing very new.  Boys got on a general bun?  Got up early, marched down to the ferry, crossed, took the cars north all day & night.  Several nice towns.

Thursday, July 13: Found ourselves sill going, got to Lafayette about 7.  Stopped there until 8.  Started on again, got into Camp Douglas about one.  Stayed in the cars all night.

Friday, July 14: Got off the cars, marched in to Barracks No. 8 Camp Douglas.  Got our breakfast, then fell in, marched up town escorted by the city band.  Speeches and a good time?  Went over to uncles.

Saturday, July 15: Got up, very wet and rainy.  Lay in camp all day, then at 4 started.  Joseph, William & myself over to uncle, had a good visit.  [Ed: this must be William Thornton, brother of Anson’s mother Rebecca Thornton Musson.]  Returned to camp on the street car.  Raining.

Sunday, July 16: Lay in camp until noon then went out to uncles.  Had a good visit with him.  Went to church at night, had a good meeting, good singing, like it very well.

Monday, July 17: Lay in camp all day, but in the evening went down town to have some photographs taken but was rather too late in the day.  Returned to camp on the [street] cars.

Tuesday, July 18: Got up early, marched to the street cars.  Got on, rode to the guard house, put up our things.  Went to the pay office, got paid, then went up town got a suit of clothes.  Went over to uncles.

Wednesday, July 19: Got up early, eat breakfast, marched to the cars.  Got on, rode all day, got off at 7:20 o’clock.  Marched out 12 mile, went in to summer qrs at home.  Found the folks all right.  Had supper.

The following are additional notes from Anson Little Musson’s diary in pages following his return home:

Nov. 3rd, 1868: Started at three o’clock up to Mr. Wiley’s and at 20 minutes after (5) five Emerett and I were married.  Lewis Wiley and Mary Neece, John Burdett and Sister Annie were waiters.  Went up to Bro. Main’s.  Stayed all night.  [Ed: Rev. D. C. Main was the minister at the wedding.]

[Pages 25 and 26 are missing.]

A Brief Biography of Anson Little Musson

Anson Little Musson was born December 22, 1845 in McDonough County, Illinois, the son of Richard and Rebecca (Thornton) Musson.  He was named for a good family friend Anson Little.  The name is a little amusing for Anson Musson grew to be 6’2” and weighted 225 pounds in his prime.  Richard and Rebecca were both from Long Clawson, Leicestershire, England, coming in 1830.

Anson had three brothers and two sisters who grew to maturity.  They were: Joseph, born 1832, married Margaret _____; William, born 1836, married Margaret Post; Mary J., born 1841, married Abraham Newland; Ann S., born 1843, married Abraham Newland (after her sister Mary Jane died); and Henry A., born 1847, married Elizabeth Bowman.

When the Civil War broke out, Joseph and William enlisted according to family stories.  Anson begged to be allowed to go with them, but was promised by his father that when he got to be eighteen he could go, his father not dreaming that the war would last that long.  However, just after he turned eighteen the 64th Illinois Volunteer Infantry returned on furlough, and he enlisted and served until the close of the conflict.  His brother William was a sergeant in the 64th.

After the war, Anson taught for a time in a country school.  On November 3, 1868 he married Mary Emerett Wiley (he calls her “Em” in his diary), daughter of Aldrich C. and Maria (Hammond) Wiley.  Mary Emerett had six brothers and three sisters: Sarah, Helen M., Walter Scott, Cornelius Joseph, Lewis Hammond, Henry W. B., William T., Ada M., and Charles H.  Mary Emerett was born in Galesburg, Illinois where her father Aldrich Wiley was first a tanner, then a justice of the peace.  They moved to McDonough County some time shortly after 1860, and Aldrich Wiley went to Washington, D.C., where he worked at various civil service jobs, was there in 1870, and may have died there.  Correspondence from an Illinois senator in later years referred to him as “an Illinois judge”.  Aldrich Wiley’s brothers and sisters are not known.

Anson and Mary went to Kirksville, Missouri, following William and Margaret (who were married the same day but in a separate ceremony).  They moved on to Omaha, Nebraska, where Mary’s sister Sarah Hurlburt lived.  They had a daughter Lelia there but she died of diphtheria at age six and the parents decided to move back to Colchester, Illinois.

In Colchester, Fannie Rebecca was born, and Mary Florence was born two years later in 1879.  Fannie died of rheumatic fever when she was eight.  Later Edward Francis was born in 1887, and the family returned to Omaha but stayed only a few months as Anson learned of a new town in northeastern Kansas just built on the Rock Island Railroad, with shops, etc.  It was Horton, Kansas.  Jetta Irene was born there, and they stayed until around 1900, when they made their last move – to Topeka, Kansas, buying a small house on a big lot in North Topeka, at 528 Grant.  The house was just being enlarged when the 1903 flood ruined nearly every bit of furniture and clothing.

But they rebuilt, and lived out their lives there.  Mary Emerett died in 1931, and Anson remained there with a housekeeper for two years, when he suffered a jaw infection and passed away very quickly.  He had been to a G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic) meeting in Minneapolis and had just returned home.  He had, within the last month of his life learned a new song in the Methodist Hymnal and had stood up before a weeknight group of his church people and sung it.

In 1900, Anson Musson is shown in the United States census as “stationary engineer”.  In his later years, he kept a weigh station in Topeka and in his spare time sharpened saws.  He had a reputation of honesty that brought many customers back to him.

Of his children: Mary Florence married John Franklin Cell and they had six children; Jetta Irene married Ralph Hurst and they had four children; Edward Francis married first Zura Keller and they had two children, and second he married Hazel Collins and they had one child.

Anson Little Musson is buried in Topeka, Kansas at Rochester Cemetery.


An early picture of Anson and Mary Musson, probably a wedding picture, about 1868 or 1869.
Picture probably taken on occasion of 60th wedding anniversary.  Front row: Anson and Mary Musson.  Back row: Florence Musson Cell, Edward Francis Musson, Jetta Musson Hurst.

 Transcribed by Scott Gutzke, 2005.


Welcome Letter
from the Unit President

Unit History

by Members of the 64th

Events Calendar

Photo Gallery of today's 64th

The Recruiter's Tent




Home | Welcome Letter from the Unit President | Unit History | Research by Members of the 64th | Events Calendar | Photo Gallery of today's 64th | The Recruiter's Tent